Monday, May 28, 2012

A Modern Witch by Debora Geary


A Modern Witch (A Modern Witch Series: Book 1)

A Modern Witch by Debora Geary is one of the most emotionally-entangling books I've read in a while. I have read literally hundreds of books, and few have ever moved me to tears (yes, the final Harry Potter book had me "ugly-crying" on the couch, wiping my eyes every five seconds so I could continue to read.) Ms. Geary has a knack for not only describing a family, she went so far as to bring me into this family and feel the love and warmth emanating from the entire cast. Granted, I may have been hit by more than a few hormones thanks to my newest addition, but the cast of this book was entirely believable despite the fact they were witches. I went into reading expecting a sweet romantic paranormal romp, but Ms. Geary's twist on that romance threw me for a delicious loop.

This story follows a highly-successful Chicago real estate agent, Lauren, who discovers she is actually a natural witch. After 28 years of having no idea, it comes as quite a shock when she is pulled into a witch chat room by a magical spell while doing some online shopping. The witches there promise to send a handsome witch her way to test her powers. Enter: handsome witch, a.k.a. Jamie. While the relationship between the two of them may be the typical romantic entanglement, I was in for a nice surprise in this. Jamie whisks Lauren away to Berkeley to learn to harness her powers, she is introduced to a kind and quirky family that I easily fell in love with. You have the wise Aunt Moira, the caring Aunt Jennie, and my personal favorite, the adorable precocious Aervyn, a witch so powerful that you almost forget he's only four years old.

After reading just two of her books, Debora Geary has earned a spot on my "favorite authors" shelf. I can't wait to read everything else she has out.

Cover art and purchasing link obtained from www.amazon.com. I received a copy of this book from its author via amazon.com for my Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment